REGULATIONS OF THE EUROPEAN SAXOPHONE FORUM 2020
- The European Saxophone Forum 2020, hereinafter called ‘the Forum’ or ‘ESF’, shall be held in Wrocław on 19–22 March 2020
- The Forum is organised by the Wrocław Division of the Society of Polish Artist Musicians and the co-organisers: the Chair of Woodwind Instruments, Percussion and Accordion of the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław and the Karol Szymanowski General Primary and Secondary Music School in Wrocław.
- The Forum includes:
- International Saxophone Competition for saxophone students under the age of 22 inclusive,
- The project entitled ‘The Saxophone Orchestra’ for saxophone pupils, students and teachers,
- Workshops on saxophone playing and contemporary music,
- Lectures on saxophone playing with a focus on technical and interpretation aspects,
- Panel discussion on modern trends in teaching the saxophone,
- Four concerts with the participation of invited guests and ESF 2020 participants.
- The artistic head of the Forum is Prof. Mieczysław Stachura, the artistic-and-organisation coordinator is Dr Hab. Ryszard Żołędziewski, and the treasurer is Adrian Masseli.
- Individuals declare their participation in the Forum by filling in a relevant on-line application form available at www.musicforum.pl. Minor participants must print out the application form and send it, signed by a parent or legal guardian, as a scan by e-mail to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The application forms for adult and minor participants are specified in the Appendices no. 1 and no. 2 hereto.
- The application form should be send in by 1 March 2020.
- Minor persons, that is persons who have not reached 18 years of age, may be entered for the Forum only by their parents or legal guardians.
- Minor persons may participate in the Forum only under a parent’s or legal guardian’s charge.
- The Organisers do not provide guardianship for minor persons.
- The fee for active participation in the Forum:
- PACKAGE I – competition – 40 EUR
- PACKAGE II – master classes – 40 EUR
- PACKAGE III – passive participants and teachers - 40 EUR
- The participants can choose one or two of the three participation packages:
- Package I COMPETITION – participation in the Competition and active participation in the ‘Saxophone Orchestra’ project. Free admission to all Forum events (master classes, jazz workshops, lectures and concerts).
- Category I: students born after 2007 inclusive (freely selected repertoire up to 10 minutes)
- Category II: students born in the years 2006-2007 inclusive (freely selected repertoire up to 12 minutes)
- Category III: students born in the years 2004-2005 inclusive (freely selected repertoire up to 15 minutes)
- Category IV: students born in the years 2001-2003 inclusive (freely selected repertoire up to 15 minutes)
- Category V: students born in the years 1998 -2001 inclusive (in this category the audition will include two stages).
- Stage I:
One movement selected from the following:
- Johann Sebastian Bach – Partita en La miner BWV 1013, movement I – Allemande (without repetition)
- Johann Sebastian Bach – Partita No. 2 BWV 1004, movement I – Allemande (without repetition)
- Johann Sebastian Bach – Cello Suite No. 3 BWV 1009, movement I - Prelude
(the movement can be performed on any type of saxophone, the participant shall choose the edition) and one piece selected from the following:
Robert Muczynski – Sonata Op. 29 for alto saxophone and piano (an obligatory piece for performers playing on the alto saxophone)
Heitor Villa-Lobos - Fantasy for soprano/tenor saxophone (an obligatory piece for performers playing on the soprano or tenor saxophone)
- Stage II:
freely selected repertoire with accompaniment, up to 20 minutes
The repertoire does not have to be played from memory.
The Organisers provide a rehearsal room on the day of the audition and may provide an accompanist for an additional fee of 20 EUR.
The Competition will judged by a Jury of international experts.
The winners of the Competition in all categories will perform at the Concert of Competition Winners in the Concert Hall of the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław on 21 March 2020.
- Package II MASTER CLASSES – two individual lesson with a teacher, active participation in the ‘Saxophone Orchestra’ project and. Free admission to all Forum events (master classes, lectures and concerts).
- Package III LISTENER – active participation in the ‘Saxophone Orchestra’ project. Free admission to all Forum events (master classes, lectures and concerts).
- The fee for participation in the Forum depends on the selected package, it is fixed and shall not be reduced in the case of single event participation.
- Participants shall pay the participation fee amounting to 40 EUR in cash to the treasurer on the day the Forum begins.
- The individuals declaring their participation in the Forum shall agree to their image and the recording of their artistic performance being used under the conditions specified in the application form.
- The Organisers reserve the right to make photo and audio coverage of the Forum and to publish it on the following websites: www.musicforum.pl, www.amuz.wroc.pl, www.spam.wroclaw.pl in accordance with the declarations contained in the application form.
- The Organisers reserve the right to make changes to these Regulations. The changes of the Regulations shall be announced every time on the following websites: www.musicforum.pl and www.amuz.wroc.pl.
- The Organisers reserve the right to cancel the Forum due to material reasons. In such a case the fees shall be refunded.
‘The Saxophone Orchestra’ Project
- The Project entitled ‘The Saxophone Orchestra’, hereinafter called ‘the Project’ is addressed to pupils, students and teachers.
- The number of Project participants is limited. The applicants to the Project will be admitted by a decision of the Organisers on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Participants of the Project will be working on pieces arranged for saxophone orchestra. A 15-minute repertoire (several pieces) is planned for the Project.
- The Participants admitted to ‘The Saxophone Orchestra’ Project are obliged to prepare the repertoire sent to them via e-mail by the Organisers.
- The project shall be held on 20 and 21 March 2020 (rehearsals), and 22 March 2020 – the main rehearsal and the Final Concert in the Concert Hall of The Karol Lipiński Academy of Music at 1.00 p.m.
Saxophone playing workshops
- The saxophone playing workshops, hereinafter called ‘the Wrokshops’ shall be held at the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław and at the Karol Szymanowski Music School in Wrocław.
- All participants of the Forum may take part in the Workshops as passive participants.
- The active participants will be admitted to the Workshops by a decision of the Organisers and the teacher conducting the Workshops on a first-come, first-served basis. Each active participant shall be informed of their admittance to the Workshops by e-mail. The number of active participants is limited. Individuals applying for active participation in the Workshops are obliged to include the repertoire the would like to work on in the Application Form.
- The Workshops will be conducted by selected professors according to a schedule set for a given day.
Lectures and panel discussion
- The lectures on saxophone playing with a broad technical and interpretation aspect, hereinafter called ‘the Lectures’, and the panel discussion, hereinafter called ‘the Panel’, shall be held at the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław.
- All participants of the Forum may take part in the Lectures and the Panel as listeners. The Lectures and the Panel are open to the public.
- There shall be four concerts held as part of the Forum:
- 19 March 2020 - Inaugural Concert,
- 20 March 2020 - Chamber Music Concert,
- 21 March 2020 – Concert of the Winners of the International Saxophone Competition in all categories
- 22 March 2020, 01.00 p.m. - Final Concert by the participants of ‘The Saxophone Orchestra’ project
- The Concerts are open to the public free of charge, in case of the Final Concert – upon presentation of a free entrance ticket. Entrance tickets will be available at the reception desk in Building E of the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music from 17 March 2020. Forum participants will receive one entrance ticket to all concerts upon registration.
Wrocław, 29 November 2019