Regulations of the European Saxophone Forum 2019
I. European Saxophone Forum
1. The European Saxophone Forum, hereinafter called ‘the Forum’ or ‘ESF’, shall be held on 29–31 March 2019 in Wrocław.
2. The Forum is organised the Chair of Woodwind Instruments, Percussion and Accordion of the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław. The co-organiser is the Wrocław Division of the Society of Polish Artist Musicians.
3. The Forum includes:
a) International Saxophone Competition for saxophone students under the age of 22 (inclusive),
b) The project entitled ‘The Saxophone Orchestra’ for saxophone pupils, students and teachers,
c) Workshops on saxophone playing and contemporary music,
d) Jazz improvisation workshops,
e) Lectures on saxophone playing with a focus on technical and interpretation aspects,
f) Panel discussion on modern trends in teaching the saxophone,
g) Three concerts with the participation of invited guests and ESF participants.
4. The artistic head of the Forum is Prof. Mieczysław Stachura, the artistic-and-organisation coordinator is Dr Hab. Ryszard Żołędziewski.
5. Individuals declare their participation in the Forum by filling in a relevant on-line application form available at www.amuz.wroc.pl. Minor participants must, in addition to filling in the online form, print out the application form and send it, signed by a parent or legal guardian, as a scan by e-mail to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. The application forms for adult and minor participants are specified in the Appendices no. 1 and no. 2 hereto.
7. The application form should be send in by 18 March 2019.
8. Minor persons, that is persons who have not reached 18 years of age, may be entered for the Forum only by their parents or legal guardians.
9. Minor persons may participate in the Forum only under a parent’s or legal guardian’s charge.
10. The Organisers do not provide guardianship for minor persons.
11. The fees for active participation in the Forum for all foreign participants – 30 EUROS.
12. The participants can choose one of three participation packages:
Package I COMPETITION
– participation in the Competition and active participation in the ‘Saxophone Orchestra’ project. Free admission to all Forum events (master classes, jazz workshops, lectures and concerts).
Package II MASTER CLASSES
– one individual class with a teacher, active participation in the ‘Saxophone Orchestra’ project. Free admission to all Forum events (master classes, jazz workshops, lectures and concerts).
Package III LISTENER
– active participation in the ‘Saxophone Orchestra’ project. Free admission to all Forum events (master classes, jazz workshops, lectures and concerts).
13. The fee for participation in the Forum depends on the selected package, it is fixed and shall not be reduced in the case of single event participation.
14. Participants shall pay the participation fee by 1 March 2019 by a transfer payment to the bank account of the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław.
Bank transfer details:
The Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław
pl. Jana Pawła II nr 2
Santander Bank Polska
Account number / IBAN: PL 40 1090 2398 0000 0001 0205 0428
with a note: EFS 2018, first name and surname of the participant.
Foreign participants shall pay the participation fee of 30 euros and this should be the amount received – the Academy shall not bear any transfer costs.
15. If the participant requires an invoice, they should send an e-mail requesting that such document be issued to the following address: email@example.com
16. If the participant resigns from participation in the Forum after 15 March 2019, the fee shall not be returned.
17. The individuals declaring their participation in the Forum shall agree to their image and the recording of their artistic performance being used under the conditions specified in the application form.
18. The Organisers reserve the right to make photo and audio coverage of the Forum and to publish it on the following websites: www.musicforum.pl, www.amuz.wroc.pl, www.spam.wroclaw.pl in accordance with the declarations contained in the application form.
20. The Organisers reserve the right to cancel the Forum due to material reasons. In such a case the fees shall be refunded.
II. International Saxophone Competition
21. The International Saxophone Competition is organised by the Chair of Woodwind Instruments, Percussion and Accordion of the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław. The co-organiser is the Wrocław Division of the Society of Polish Artist Musicians. The Competition is addressed to Polish and foreign saxophonists.
22. The Competition consists of three age groups:
a) Group I for students born after 2004 (inclusive),
b) Group II for students born between 2001 and 2003 (inclusive),
c) Group III for musicians born between 1997 and 2000 (inclusive).
23. Candidates declare their participation in the Competition by filling in relevant information in the Application Form.
24. Each participant is obliged to prepare an artistic repertoire:
a) Group I – freely selected repertoire solo or with accompaniment up to 8 minutes,
b) Group II – freely selected repertoire solo or with accompaniment up to 12 minutes,
c) Group III
Johann Sebastian Bach, Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007
movement I -Allemande and movement II – Corrente (without repetition)
Both movements can be performed on any type of saxophone. The participant shall choose the edition.
Paul Creston, Sonata for alto saxophone and piano op. 19, part III-Whit gaiety.
Alexander Glazunov, Concerto in E-flat Major, Op. 109
25. The repertoire does not have to be played by memory. In case of exceeding the established time, the Jury may interrupt the performance.
26. The auditions in each of the groups shall be held on 19 and 30 March 2019. All auditions shall be open to the public.
27. The order of performances of individual Participants shall be determined by a draw which will take place on 22 March 2019 with the participation of the Head, the Secretary and one member of the Managing Board of the Wrocław Division of the Society of Polish Artist Musicians.
28. The first place winners of the previous edition of the Competition cannot participate in the Competition in same the group. The number of Participants is limited. The applicants will be admitted to the Competition on a first come, first served basis.
29. The Organisers provide a rehearsal room on the day of the audition and may provide an accompanist for an additional fee of 20 euros for participants.
30. The winners of the Competition are obliged to perform during the Final Concert that shall be held at the Concert Hall of the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music on 31 March 2019. The winner in the 3rd group shall perform Alexander Glazunov’s Concerto with the Chamber Orchestra.
31. The Competition is judged by a Jury of international experts.
32. The Jury evaluate the artistic level of the performance in terms of conformity with sheet music, style, intonation, timbre etc.
33. The Jury award non-cash prizes or vouchers funded by sponsors.
34. The Jury’s decision is final and irrevocable.
III. ‘The Saxophone Orchestra’ Project
35. The Project entitled ‘The Saxophone Orchestra’, hereinafter called ‘the Project’ is addressed to pupils, students and teachers.
36. The number of Project participants is limited. The applicants to the Project will be admitted by a decision of the Organisers on a first come, first served basis.
37. Participants of the Project will be working on pieces arranged for saxophone orchestra. A 15-minute repertoire (several pieces) is planned for the Project.
38. The Participants admitted to ‘The Saxophone Orchestra’ Project are obliged to prepare the repertoire sent to them via e-mail by the Organisers.
39. The project shall be held on 29-31 March 2019 (rehearsals), and 31 March 2019 – the main rehearsal and the final concert.
IV. Saxophone playing workshops
40. The saxophone playing workshops, hereinafter called ‘the Wrokshops’ shall be held at the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław and at the Karol Szymanowski General Primary and Secondary Music School in Wrocław.
41. All participants of the Forum may take part in the Workshops as passive participants.
42. The active participants will be admitted to the Workshops by a decision of the Organisers and the professor conducting the Workshops on a first come, first served basis. Each active participant shall be informed of their admittance to the Workshops by e-mail. The number of active participants is limited. Individuals applying for active participation in the Workshops are obliged to include the repertoire the would like to work on in the Application Form.
43. The Workshops will be conducted by selected professors according to a schedule set for a given day.
V. Lectures and panel discussion
44. The lectures on saxophone playing with a broad technical and interpretation aspect, hereinafter called ‘the Lectures’, and the panel discussion, hereinafter called ‘the Panel’, shall be held at the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław.
45. All participants of the Forum may take part in the Lectures and the Panel as listeners.
46. The Lectures and the Panel are open to the public.
VII. Forum Concerts
47. There shall be three concerts held as part of the Forum:
29 March 2019, Inaugural Concert,
30 March 2019, Concert of the Competition Winners in Groups I and II,
31 March 2019, 02.00 p.m., Final Concert by the participants of ‘The Saxophone Orchestra’ project and the Competition Winners in Group III.
48. The Concerts are open to the public free of charge, however to the Final Concert the audience shall be admitted upon presentation of a free entrance ticket. Entrance tickets will be available at the reception desk in Building E of the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music from 25 March 2019. Forum participants will receive one entrance ticket to all concerts upon registration.
Wrocław, 5 October 2019