Regulations of the European Saxophone Forum 2018
Regulations of the European Saxophone Forum 2018
I. European Saxophone Forum
1. The European Saxophone Forum, hereinafter called ‘the Forum’, shall be held on 13–15 April 2018 in Wrocław.
2. The Forum is organised by the Wrocław Division of the Society of Polish Artist Musicians and the co-organisers: the Chair of Woodwind Instruments, Percussion and Accordion of the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław and the Karol Szymanowski General Primary and Secondary Music School in Wrocław.
3. The Forum includes:
a) International Saxophone Competition for saxophone students under the age of 22 (inclusive),
b) The project entitled ‘The Saxophone Orchestra’ for saxophone pupils, students and teachers,
c) ‘Big-Band’ workshops for saxophone pupils, students and teachers,
d) Workshops on saxophone playing and contemporary music,
e) Jazz improvisation workshops,
f) Lectures on saxophone playing with a focus on technical and interpretation aspects,
g) Panel discussion on modern trends in teaching the saxophone,
h) Three concerts.
4. The artistic head of the Forum is Prof. Mieczysław Stachura, the artistic-and-organisation coordinator is Dr Hab. Ryszard Żołędziewski and the organisation co-coordinator is Jacek Hornik. The secretaries are Mateusz Boduch and Andrzej Łucki, the treasurer is Adrian Masseli.
5. Individuals declare their participation in the Forum by filling in a relevant on-line application form available at www.musicforum.pl. Minor participants must print out the application form and send it, signed by a parent or legal guardian, as a scan by e-mail to the following address: email@example.com.
6. The application forms for adult and minor participants are specified in the Appendices no. 1 and no. 2 hereto.
7. The application form should be send in by 18 March 2018.
8. Minor persons, that is persons who have not reached 18 years of age, may be entered for the Forum only by their parents or legal guardians.
9. Minor persons may participate in the Forum only under a parent’s or legal guardian’s charge.
10. The Organisers do not provide guardianship for minor persons.
11. The fee for active participation in the Forum (package I and II) amounts to 130 PLN, for passive participants and teachers (package III) it amounts to 50 PLN and for foreign participants – to 30 EUROS.
12. The participants can choose one of three participation packages:
Package I COMPETITION – participation in the Competition and active participation in the ‘Saxophone Orchestra’ project. Free admission to all Forum events (master classes, jazz workshops, lectures and concerts).
Students of primary and secondary music schools subordinate to the Artistic Education Centre who declare participation in the Competition only participate free of charge.
Package II MASTER CLASSES – one individual class with a teacher, active participation in the ‘Saxophone Orchestra’ project and in ‘Big-Band’ workshops. Free admission to all Forum events (master classes, jazz workshops, lectures and concerts).
Package III LISTENER – active participation in the ‘Saxophone Orchestra’ project and in ‘Big-Band’ workshops. Free admission to all Forum events (master classes, jazz workshops, lectures and concerts).
13. The fee for participation in the Forum depends on the selected package, it is fixed and shall not be reduced in the case of single event participation.
14. Participants shall pay the participation fee by 18 March 2018. Polish participants shall make a transfer payment to the following bank account: 08 1020 5242 0000 2802 0145 6771 PKO BP IV/O WE WROCŁAWIU, Stowarzyszenie Polskich Artystów Muzyków, oddział we Wrocławiu, ul. Szewska 47/2, 50-139 Wrocław, with a note: EFS 2018, first name and surname of the participant.
Foreign participants shall pay the participation fee amounting to 30 euros or 130 PLN to the treasurer in cash on the day the Forum begins.
15. If the participant resigns from participation in the Forum after 3 April 2018, the fee shall not be returned.
16. The individuals declaring their participation in the Forum shall agree to their image and the recording of their artistic performance being used under the conditions specified in the application form.
17. The Organisers reserve the right to make photo and audio coverage of the Forum and to publish it on the following websites: www.musicforum.pl, www.amuz.wroc.pl, www.spam.wroclaw.pl and www.lowiecka.wroclaw.pl in accordance with the declarations contained in the application form.
18. The Organisers reserve the right to make changes to these Regulations. The changes of the Regulations shall be announced every time on the following websites: www.musicforum.pl, www.amuz.wroc.pl.
19. The Organisers reserve the right to cancel the Forum due to material reasons. In such a case the fees shall be refunded.
II. International Saxophone Competition
20. The International Saxophone Competition, hereinafter called ‘the Competition’ is organised by the Artistic Education Centre and the co-organisers: the Wrocław Division of the Society of Polish Artist Musicians, the Chair of Woodwind Instruments, Percussion and Accordion of the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław and the Karol Szymanowski General Primary and Secondary Music School in Wrocław. The Competition is addressed to Polish and foreign saxophonists.
21. The Competition consists of three age groups:
a) Group I for students born after 2003 (inclusive),
b) Group II for students born between 2000 and 2002 (inclusive),
c) Group III for musicians born between 1996 and 1999 (inclusive).
22. Candidates declare their participation in the Competition by filling in relevant information in the Application Form.
23. The heads of the Competition Office are Andrzej Łucki and Mateusz Boduch. Contact details: phone 509 056 772 or 505 145 469, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
24. Each participant is obliged to prepare an artistic repertoire:
a) Group I – freely selected repertoire solo or with piano accompaniment up to 10 minutes,
b) Group II – freely selected repertoire solo or with piano accompaniment up to 15 minutes,
c) Group III
stage I: Johann Sebastian Bach, Partita in A minor (BVW 1013), movement I -Allemande and movement II - Corrente. Both movements should be performed once (without repetition) on any type of saxophone. The participant shall choose the edition.
stage II: freely selected repertoire with piano accompaniment up to 20 minutes.
25. The repertoire does not have to be played by memory. In case of exceeding the established time, the Jury may interrupt the performance.
26. The auditions in each of the groups shall be held on the following dates:
Group I: 13 April 2018,
Group II: 14 April 2018,
Group III: 14 April 2018,
Group III: 15 April 2018.
27. The order of performances of individual Participants shall be determined by a draw which will take place on 9 April 2018 with the participation of the Head, the Secretary and one member of the Managing Board of the Wrocław Division of the Society of Polish Artist Musicians.
28. The first place winners of the previous edition of the Competition cannot participate in the Competition in same the group. The number of Participants is limited. The applicants will be admitted to the Competition on a first come, first served basis.
29. The Organisers provide accompanists and rooms for the rehearsals on the day of the audition.
30. All auditions are open to the public.
31. The Competition is judged by a Jury of international experts.
32. The Jury evaluate the artistic level of the performance in terms of conformity with sheet music, style, intonation, timbre etc.
33. The Jury award non-cash prizes or vouchers funded by sponsors.
34. The Jury’s decision is final and irrevocable.
III. ‘The Saxophone Orchestra’ Project
35. The Project entitled ‘The Saxophone Orchestra’, hereinafter called ‘the Project’ is addressed to pupils, students and teachers.
36. The number of Project participants is limited. The applicants to the Project will be admitted by a decision of the Organisers on a first come, first served basis.
37. Participants of the Project will be working on pieces arranged for saxophone orchestra. A 15-minute repertoire (several pieces) is planned for the Project.
38. The Participants admitted to ‘The Saxophone Orchestra’ Project are obliged to prepare the repertoire sent to them via e-mail by the Organisers.
39. The project shall be held on 13 and 14 April 2018 (rehearsals), and 15 April 2018 - the main rehearsal and the final concert.
IV. BIG-BAND workshops
40. The workshops are open to pupils, students and teachers.
41. The number of participants is limited. The participants will be admitted by the Organisers on a first come first served basis.
42. The workshops shall be held on 14 April 2018 and will be concluded by a joint concert.
V. Saxophone playing workshops
43. The saxophone playing workshops, hereinafter called ‘the Wrokshops’ shall be held at the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław and at the Karol Szymanowski General Primary and Secondary Music School in Wrocław.
44. All participants of the Forum may take part in the Workshops as passive participants.
45. The active participants will be admitted to the Workshops by a decision of the Organisers and the professor conducting the Workshops on a first come, first served basis. Each active participant shall be informed of their admittance to the Workshops by e-mail. The number of active participants is limited. Individuals applying for active participation in the Workshops are obliged to include the repertoire the would like to work on in the Application Form.
46. The Workshops will be conducted by selected professors according to a schedule set for a given day.
VI. Lectures and panel discussion
47. The lectures on saxophone playing with a broad technical and interpretation aspect, hereinafter called ‘the Lectures’, and the panel discussion, hereinafter called ‘the Panel’, shall be held at the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław.
48. All participants of the Forum may take part in the Lectures and the Panel as listeners.
49. The Lectures and the Panel are open to the public.
VII. Festival Concerts
50. There shall be three concerts held as part of the Forum:
13 April 2018, 06.00 p.m., Inaugural Concert,
14 April 2018, 06.00 p.m., Concert of Big-Band workshop participants,
15 April 2018, 03.00 p.m., Final Concert by the participants of ‘The Saxophone Orchestra’ project
51. The Concerts are open to the public free of charge upon presentation of a free entrance ticket. Entrance tickets will be available at the reception desk in Building E of the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music from 6 April 2018. Forum participants will receive one entrance ticket to all concerts upon registration.
Wrocław, 23 February 2018